Many circumstances could result in a flood in your home. A severe rainstorm, a burst water pipe, sewage spills, an overflowing tub, or a burst water heater, for example. In Florida the water damage could be caused by a hurricane. If you experience a flood in your home, you will want to start the restoration as fast as possible. Home restoration begins with water extraction.
It does not matter how the flooding occurred or whether it is a minor or major flood. The important thing is to protect your family and the value of your property. Before water restoration can begin, you will need to know a bit more about the overall process of water extraction and restoration.
If you experience a serious flood because of a natural disaster, you may need immediate help to evacuate, in which case call 911.
Make safety your top priority by following the advice below. Before you enter your home, make sure that it is safe to do so.
- Standing water can get into outlets and put you at great risk of an electric shock.
- Turn off your power immediately. If you need to step into the water to access your main switch, do not do this yourself. Call an electrician to do it safely.
- Never operate an electrical device if you are standing in water.
- For less serious leaks, identify the source of the leak and try to fix the cause before you call a plumber. Switch off the water mains.
- If you smell gas, switch your gas off at the mains, open the windows, then leave the building and contact the gas company.
- It is important to be aware that flood water can be highly polluted with sewage, chemicals, or insecticides, and this could expose you to infectious diseases. Try not to have skin contact with the water.
- If you come into skin contact with flood water, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- Mold can form very quickly in a wet environment. It is detrimental to your health, and mold should be removed by a professional as soon as possible.
- Before switching the power back on in your home, ask an electrician to check your electrical system.
Call The Insurance Company
Call your insurers as soon as you can and log a claim. Most insurance companies allow you to choose your preferred contractor. At Restoration Maintenance, we offer a 24-hour emergency service and can begin immediate water extraction.
Make sure to document your flood damage. Take photographs and videos and make notes of any damage to back up your insurance claim.
How Is Water Extracted From My Home?
Before extracting the water, we will identify the source. Our infrared cameras and damp detectors can reveal any affected areas, and from that, we can assess the amount of water damage.
Water extraction is a process that removes all the excess moisture as well as any standing water from the flooded area of your home. It also speeds up the drying process.
To remove the water, we use powerful water-extracting machines to suck out all the water and moisture from your home. After the water extraction, there will still be moisture in the air and the surrounding areas. We address this by using industrial fans and dehumidifiers, which pull the remaining moisture out.
We will then remove all the affected carpets and dry walling to prevent the formation of mold and mildew. If mold is already evident, we will identify the type of mold and safely eliminate it.
Trust The Experts At Restoration Maintenance
No matter how the water gets into your property, you need to get it out fast. Talk to one of our professionals today at 954-807-4721.